Its been a while that we were planning a project to build up a home for the swimmers in our tubby pond in the balcony. Our planning was amazing and spanned for over 2 years. Starting from the time we found a perfect use for our kid’s bathtub, we have been thinking of having a fountain or something similar in the tub. Finally, we took to all odds and started working on the pond. The initial days were great. Freshwater ..healthy fish and amazing growth. and one day all this stopped and we were looking at a pond full of fish waste together with dirt and dead fish itself. Not all were dead though..but it did push me into a habit of cleaning it every 2 weeks. All the water used to be drained out into closets and partly into the nearby flower pots. Everything would be hail and hearty for 2 days but would return to muddy and musky water and more dead fishes. Losing all hope I even thought of putting an end to all the hard work and attention the pond was getting. Most of my weekends used to go in cleaning the pond and also a dirty commode and stinky pots.
It was at this time we thought of installing a water fountain. And off we started building the fountain with a hope that circulating water might help to maintain the overall health of the pond. Nothing worked. All we got was a feng shui resembling homemade fountain about which I did boast around for a few days. 🙂
Post the failed fountain episode, the pond went from bad to worse. Stinking water and striking disappointment everywhere.
We finally decided to build up our knowledge and shed the overconfidence of folks who know everything. With the newly gathered learning, we started off building a filter system for our pond. On the drawing board, the
1 > water Inlet from the pond into the filter box
2 > Layers
- Top Layer (pebbles) –>
- Layer 2 (polyether filter foam) –>
- Layer 3 (activated Carbon pack)
- Layer 4 (polyether filter foam) –>
- Bottom Layer –> Pebbles
3> Outlet into the fish pond
We installed it referencing the videos on youtube and our age-old pride which I mentioned above and made a filter box.
Inserting few pictures here 🙂
I didn’t have the courage to post a “before” photo. It was anyways a dark brown stagnant water body. After running the filter for close to 2 hours, the results were astonishing and unbelievable.
Closing this bit with a belief that anything is possible if you just want to get something done…. 🙂